Uist Council of Voluntary Organisations (UCVO) is charitable organisation based in the Outer Hebrides. UCVO owns and publishes the monthly newspaper, Am Pàipear, which operates as a social enterprise, providing news and information to the local community.
They are seeking a 12-month graduate placement to create engaging content for Am Pàipear’s newly developed online platform, and to develop a social media strategy to promote the platform.
Am Pàipear is expanding its news service through the development of an innovative online service based around a subscription model. The successful applicant will create engaging content, including articles, interviews and short films and will promote new platform through social media.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Create original articles for the new platform.
- Promote new content posted on the website through social media.
- Create a social media strategy for the new platform.
- Incorporate video interviews and shortform films into online news articles and upload to Vimeo or YouTube.
- Assist with launch of ‘Am Podcast’ the new audio offering to complement the print edition and online service.
- Complete a series of six shortform ‘documentaries’ for the online platform.
- Establish a template for business features online.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact Iain Stephen Morrison on 01870603299.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
The graduate will benefit from additional training related to the role, and attendance at national events.
- Knowledge/experience in journalism, including media law.
- Strong instinct for stories, features and interesting characters to profile.
- Ability to collaborate and establish working relationships at all levels, ranging from community members to politicians.
- Knowledge of social media for business purposes (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube).
- Strong communication skills and the ability to articulate stories effectively.
- Current, clean UK driving licence and access to own vehicle.
- Experience using the WordPress content management system.
- Marketing experience, particularly utilising social media.
- Video production skills, using a range of devices.
- Business skills and a proactive approach to marketing with a view to generating sales.
- Interest in the life and culture of the Outer Hebrides.
- Gaelic language skills.
Minimum Degree Level, preferably related to Journalism. Other subjects accepted provided the candidate has the required skills/experience.